Fire damage is a major home improvement problem which no homeowners want to encounter. It is because this kind of problem gives birth to other problems that can drain your energy and your savings. The restoration of your damaged property has to be done by professionals. Hence, you must have a budget and a plan to make sure the whole renovation process happens smoothly. Complete assessment – A damaged house is assessed thoroughly prior to any restoration work. Smoke, soot, fire, heat, and water can cause serious health and safety problems to your family and to your property. Hence, they must be detected right away.
Interior protection – Broken doors and windows are to be expected after a house gets caught in fire. Oftentimes, firefighters need to break them open in order to enter and hose down a burning house quickly. A professional restoration team can be requested to set up plywood boards that will prevent trespassers and vandals from stealing or damaging your remaining possessions.
Restoring Possessions – First of all, you will need to remove everything that is not yet burned out of your house. Burnt possessions can no longer be restored. Items with minimal damaged must be cleaned and restored by professionals if you don’t want the damage to worsen. Apart from the main points above, here are some things you need to do in case of fire damage.
- Never enter your house until you have clearance from your local fire marshal.
- Create natural ventilation by opening all the windows.
- Avoid damaged areas that could be unsafe.
- For insurance purposes, list all your damaged possessions.
- Never use electrical appliances when you get back to your house. There could be electrical wiring issues that can cause trouble or another fire incident if you do so.