To a carpenter dad like me, nothing beats the happiness of creating wooden for my kids and seeing my kids enjoy them. Creating wooden toys allows to show how important my kids are to me – that I will take the effort and time to create something that they will enjoy. It also allows me to take part in their personal development and well-being as wooden toys come with better and more benefits than their plastic counterparts.
Wooden toys encourage kids to be proactive. Your kids will need to be mentally and physically involved when playing with wooden toys. Kids will need to pull, push and turn them manually because they don’t have buttons to press. Wooden toys are safer for kids’ heath. Wooden toys lack toxic chemicals which are often seen in plastic toys. You don’t have to worry about your kids getting poisoned when playing with them. Wooden toys are not battery-operated too. Again, you don’t have about your kids swallowing hazardous batteries.
Wooden toys improve kids’ tactile experiences. Plastic toys are generally smooth. Meanwhile, wooden toys can exhibit different textures. Touching them allows kids to have a rich tactile experience.
Wooden toys can be used for generations. Wooden toys tend to last generations. Plastic toys can get brittle and outdated in time. This is contrary to the state of most wooden toys no matter how vintage-looking they are. They have longer lifespan especially when they’re made from quality wood. Repairs can be easily done with broken wooden toys than with plastic toys. You can repaint or them if you need to. This is something you cannot do with plastic toys.
Building your own home comes with a lot of benefits. However, these advantages are often overlooked by many because of the fact that building a home on your own requires much effort and time. Here are a few of these advantages that will convince you to build and not buy a home.
#1 Saved money – Many factors affect the prices of houses that are sold in the market. Two of these are the builder’s profit and the realtor’s fee. The typical builder’s profit ranges from 18 to 20 percent of the total cost of the construction and the land. Meanwhile, realtor fees range from 5 to 7 percent of the total cost of your home. You will be able to save around 30 percent of the cost of a new home if you decide to build one on your own.
#2 Customized house parts – Building your own home allows you to customize its parts so that they will suit your needs. You can now manage your own house construction project with the use relevant software available on line. It can help you obtain the right design and measurements for your dream house.
#3 New skills learned – During the process of construction, you might be surprised how creative and talented you are. You can cultivate your current skills and learn new ones once you decide to build your own home. This a great way for you to beat boredom and depression. Moreover, this will make you value your home more as it is the fruit of your labour and passion.
There is also a downside to building your own home. The entire process can require a lot of effort and time from you. This is specifically true when your lot is located in the outskirts and you would need to commute long hours just to get back and forth from your work and your construction site. Needless to say, all your hardships will pay off once your dream house is completed.
Recently a friend who is considering renovating his backyard pool asked me to give him some advice.
His question to me was:
Have you ever renovated or remodeled your own pool? Can you give me some tips on selecting the best colour for the water in my pool?
To answer his first question, I don’t own a pool in my backyard. If ever I own one, I will not even consider renovating it myself. 😀 The professionals are the ones with the right skills to tackle such a major task. As for the second question, I’m no expert in swimming pools and so I did some research on this topic. Here is some information that I was able to gather.
You may not know this but it is possible to achieve only two different colours for the water in a swimming pool. These are blue and green. The background dye used in your pool finish is the major factor that affects the water colour in your swimming pool. Blue water can be achieved by lining your pool with a black, blue, gray or white background finish. A brown, green or tan background finish produces green water.
Some pools appear bluer or greener compared to other pools. This can be attributed to the water depth. Deeper pools look darker in colour while shallow pools look lighter. There are other factors that affect the tint of the water in your pool. These are sun exposure, landscaping, pool shape, water movement and water temperature.
Consider the look that you want to achieve in your backyard when choosing the ideal colour for your pool. The theme of your backyard will provide an appropriate colour palette for you to work from.
It may be tempting to base your decision on the pool colours that are popular today. This could make the selection process easier for you. However, this is not advisable. What’s trending today may no longer be popular tomorrow. Take the time to choose a pool colour that suits your own taste and the design of your house.
Watch this short video about pool colour options I found online. It will give you an idea about how to choose the right colour for your pool which will complement the pool’s design.
To some dads, carpentry is not just a hobby. Carpentry is their means of earning a living.
Although carpentry is physically demanding, it can be a very rewarding job especially when you have cutting-edge skills. Are you consider to work as a carpenter? Here are some skills you must have in order to be successful in the field.
#1 Attention to details – Carpentry tasks entails a lot of measurement. Measurements have to be done without being distracted. An inch of error can cause a huge difference in the construction of a house or building. Talented carpenters observe precise measurements. Architects and contractors trust such carpenters.
#2 Dedication to quality work – Anyone can be trained to obtain basic math skills and manual dexterity. But not all trained individuals will have a positive attitude and dedication to their job. If you want to have an edge over other carpenters, you must cultivate the attitude of doing your best.
#3 Good communication skills – Carpenters take instructions from architects and contractors. Then, they relay these instructions to their co-carpenters. A good carpenter must able to take information well and carry them out well too.
#4 Great physical strength – Carpenters are expected to be strong and healthy at all times since carpentry demands a lot of physical strength. Heavy tools and sheets of plywood can weigh more than 100 pounds. You must not have any physical limitations in order to lift these things. Apart from lifting, you will also need to bend, climb up and down ladders, kneel and stand a lot of times.
Did you know that good lighting can improve your home’s mood and space? Yes, it can make your house look serene and spacious. Moreover, good lighting can help you perform tasks better and quicker. If you’re keen to know how to get the best indoor lights for your home, read the following insights.
1) List your lighting goals. It is important for you to do this for every part of your house. Your activities in the kitchen will be different from your activities in the study room. You will need different kinds of lights to brighten each part of your house.
2) Consider safety and security when lighting the exteriors of your house. You will need ambient lighting for the front and back entries of your house. The same kind of lighting must be installed in the pathways and walkways leading to your house. If you have enough budget, consider installation of ambient lights within the perimeters of your house as well.
3) Consider multiple light sources inside your house. Multiple light sources in each of the rooms inside your house allows you to take advantage of multiple lighting functions. Hence, you will be perform a variety of activities in a specific space. For example, you can install wall lampshades in your living room apart from the main lights installed in the ceiling. This will make your living room appear cozy.
4) If your house has high ceilings, choose lights that can serve as decorations at the same time. Can lights, for example, are great lighting fixtures that can provide direction inside your house while beautifying it.
Are you fond of admiring a beautiful scenery outdoors through your window? Well, nothing beats that experience especially when you’re trying to drain stress away from your mind and body. Believe it or not, are the best ways and parts of your house that can bring the soothing outdoors into your home. With that said, it is important for you to choose the best window for your house. Here are some tips which can make the selection process a lot easier for you.
1) Choose a window style that matches your house’s architectural style – Your house’s architectural style makes it unique. If you can’t afford a designer to check the best window for your house, read home improvement magazines to get ideas.
2) Decide on your windows’ purpose – Windows in different areas of your house might serve you different purposes. A window which will allow some sunlight to enter your house will be designed differently from a window which will provide access to your porch. Keep in mind that your windows’ purpose will dictate their appropriate design and material.
3) Consider your home’s ventilation issues or needs – Different styles of houses come with different ventilation needs. If you’re able to choose and install the right windows into your home, you will be able to enjoy the movement of fresh air in and out of your rooms. Closed areas or rooms might require bigger and wider windows compared to the other places inside your house.
Fire damage is a major home improvement problem which no homeowners want to encounter. It is because this kind of problem gives birth to other problems that can drain your energy and your savings. The restoration of your damaged property has to be done by professionals. Hence, you must have a budget and a plan to make sure the whole renovation process happens smoothly. Complete assessment – A damaged house is assessed thoroughly prior to any restoration work. Smoke, soot, fire, heat, and water can cause serious health and safety problems to your family and to your property. Hence, they must be detected right away.
Interior protection – Broken doors and windows are to be expected after a house gets caught in fire. Oftentimes, firefighters need to break them open in order to enter and hose down a burning house quickly. A professional restoration team can be requested to set up plywood boards that will prevent trespassers and vandals from stealing or damaging your remaining possessions.
Restoring Possessions – First of all, you will need to remove everything that is not yet burned out of your house. Burnt possessions can no longer be restored. Items with minimal damaged must be cleaned and restored by professionals if you don’t want the damage to worsen. Apart from the main points above, here are some things you need to do in case of fire damage.
- Never enter your house until you have clearance from your local fire marshal.
- Create natural ventilation by opening all the windows.
- Avoid damaged areas that could be unsafe.
- For insurance purposes, list all your damaged possessions.
- Never use electrical appliances when you get back to your house. There could be electrical wiring issues that can cause trouble or another fire incident if you do so.